One of the most significant barriers to getting outdoors is the lack of quality gear. We want to fix that. The purpose of the Gearbank is to provide quality outdoor gear to the community at an accessible cost. The Gearbank is located at Strawberry Hill Park.
Strawberry Hill Park
7666 NE High School Rd
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
What gear do you have?
- 2-person Tents
- 3-Person Tents
- 4-Person Tents
- Adult Foam Sleeping Pads
- Youth Foam Sleeping Pads
- Backpacks (35-82L) from trusted names like Osprey, REI, North Face, Black Diamond, and Jansport
- Men’s and Women’s Trekking Poles
- Youth and Adult Snowshoes
- 17.5” Specialized Hardrock Mountain Bikes
- 19” Specialized Hardrock Mountain Bikes
- 21“ Specialized Hardrock Mountain Bikes
- Bear Cans
Hippocampe All-Terrain Wheelchairs
Our parks, trails, and beaches just got even more accessible! We have partnered with Kitsap County to have two Hippocampe All-Terrain Wheelchairs available to rent for free with a small damage deposit. These lightweight, durable chairs are designed to tackle sand, grass, dirt, mud, rocks, roots, and just about any other surface to allow wheelchair users access to places classic wheelchairs wouldn’t dare to go. They don’t float, of course, but you can even wade these chairs into the water. With specialized wheels and attachments that fit various needs, these chairs are ready for your next adventure!
We have one medium and one large chair available. The medium chair can fit someone between 4’7”-5’7” who weighs under 285 pounds. The large chair can fit someone 5’7”- 6’1” who weighs under 285 pounds.
For more information or to reserve a chair, please contact Outdoor Program Manager Stacey Stoner at (206) 842-5661 #128 or email@example.com.
How do I reserve gear?
- Phone: Call the Outdoor Program Manager at (206) 842-5661 #128.
Reservations should be made one week to two months in advance of the rental date. Same-day rentals are possible, assuming adequate equipment is available. Gear is rented in one-week time blocks.
Do I have to pay?
We’re huge fans of free gear, but we have to charge a minimal fee to ensure our gear rental program is sustainable. We also charge a refundable deposit to ensure our equipment is treated correctly and can be used by many other outdoor enthusiasts for years to come.
How do I select a backpack?
Backpacks are chosen based on the user’s size and the amount of gear needed in the pack. We have various packs in various sizes to accommodate kids and adults. A 45-65L pack will be sufficient for most 3-6 day backpacking trips. We will happily assist you in selecting a pack that fits you and your trip once you arrive at our Gearbank!
What size mountain bike should I get?
Generally, a 17.5” bike should fit someone between 5’2” and -5’7”. A 19” bike will fit someone between 5’7” and -5’11”. A 21” bike will fit someone between 6’-6’3”.
How big are the tents?
A 2-person tent is made to sleep two people cozily. If you’re camping with someone you don’t know well or who has stinky feet…well, then maybe opt for the 3-person.
- REI Half Dome 2+ Floor Dimensions: 92” x 56”
- Marmot Racer X 2 Floor Dimensions: 92” x 54”
- Marmot Grid 2p Floor Dimensions: 88.6” x 43.3”
- Mountain Hardwear Viperine Floor dimensions: 94” x 72”
- REI Half Dome 4 Floor Dimensions: 92” x 92”
What size snowshoes should I get?
The 22” Evo snowshoes will fit people above 5’2”. The 19” Shift snowshoes will include those between 4’6” and 5’5”. The Tyker snowshoes are meant for small children. The closure system on the snowshoes is sufficient to fit over the vast majority of boots. It’s unlikely that you’ll be too large for our snowshoes. With our detachable tails, our snowshoes can hold up to 250 pounds and still perform well. Putting more than 250 pounds on the MSR Evo snowshoes means you will sink a little more, but that’s about it.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Cancellation requests made seven days or more before the rental begin date will receive a full refund, minus a $10 administrative fee
- Cancellation requests made less than seven days before the rental begin date will not receive a refund unless a doctor’s note is provided. In that event, a refund will be granted, but a $10 administrative fee will be assessed.
- Cancellation requests made after the rental end date will not receive a refund, even with a doctor’s note.
- Rentals canceled by the Park District will receive a full refund.
- No refunds are provided for gear that is not picked up or that is rented but not used.
- Refunds will be in the form of a credit to the renter’s household account unless a check is requested.
Contact Stacey Stoner
Outdoor Programs Manager